SEO E-commerce: How to rank your shop online
Are you looking for how to carry out web positioning in online stores? Would you like to know what are the general guidelines that you should take into account to have well optimized seo in your e-commerce or online store? Below we will tell you everything in detail, so that you can be 100% autonomous.
What Is it an e-commerce or online store?
Surely on some occasion you have bought a product online, whether it was through amazon or any other online page. Those types of pages that sell products online and send them to your home are popularly known as e-commerces or online stores.
That is why, if you are reading this article, it is very likely that you are looking for some tips and tricks to optimize your web page to the maximum so that when users search for the product that you sell on Google, find you in the first results.
And what you need is to master SEO for e-commerce so that all your products have greater visibility in the SERPs. But you may not know what We mean when we talk about SEO for an online store or that, basically, you want to know much more about this specific topic. So what you need to know first is that:
What is seo for e-commerce?
Mastering the art of knowing how to optimize your online store is key to improving the positioning of each of your products, as well. as the categories and subcategories with which you have them organized.
That is why, knowing how to carry out the SEO of your e-commerce, you will be able to make a gap among the first results of your sector.
And it is that when we talk about organic positioning, remember that we are referring to being able to appear in Google results that appear without any tag that puts "Ads".
We will be able to achieve all these positions with some of the tips that we tell you below.
Structure of an online store
One of the most important factors to take into account when we have to position our online store is to build a well-optimized structure for SEO. But with what objective? Well, the purposes for which we must have a hierarchy of concepts within our website is due to various reasons:
- User experience or UX: First of all, it is important to have a practical and intuitive web structure. For what? So that the user can easily navigate through it, and be able to optimally find everything they are looking for. For this, it is interesting to take into account the general canon that larger websites have (since they are what users are used to).
- SEO Optimization: Another factor (and the second most important because having a correct web structure is vital), is that having a good hierarchy of categories and subcategories, we will be able to do that Google crawls or robots can navigate optimally through our website, and crawl all content without difficulty.
To all this, after having named the different advantages of why have a good positioning of our online store, let's see how that structure should be so that it is as optimal and scalable as possible:
We see that the previous structure is composed of 4 levels:
- Home page: It is the main page of the site and from where everything starts. Here shall the menu will appear main and links to the main categories and subcategories.
- Category: This is the first level that we find, and therefore, the first branch to segment the site and separate it into more precise sections of our products.
- Subcategory: This is the second branch, where we re-classify the product or service more precisely.
- Product sheet: Once we have gone through each of the categories; as and subcategories, we come to the product sheet.
This is a practical example of the map previously drawn:
In this second map, we already clearly see the diversification of the types of products into categories and subcategories, to finally arrive at the products themselves.
SEO Guide for e-commerce
Once we are clear about the web structure of our e-commerce, it will be It is vitally important to work well on specific aspects of our site (both content and technical aspects), to achieve a good positioning of our online store.
This is the first step to carry out even before having the web structure, since knowing the keywords that we must bet on will help us. guide to generate our web map.
Let's remember that we have already talked in another article about how to do a keyword research or search for keywords. There You will be able to delve into everything important to extract the correct keywords that fit the search intention of your products or services.
The second aspect to take into account is the linkjuice strategy that we carry out. In the end, it is important that from the Home Page all parts of the web can be accessed through links, but only the necessary ones. It is not necessary to have 4 links that point to a url from the same page. Minimizing the number of links helps to have a better optimization in terms of internal linking.
Structure of landings
Knowing the content that each page of our site is going to have and organizing it effectively so that Google takes us as a benchmark in the sector, is a very important aspect.
For example: If we are planning to do the SEO of an online store & hellip; How will we structure the subcategory landing? Will we put a text as if it were a blog or will we put products?
This is what we mean, that before creating a landing we must analyze how the competitors are structuring said landings to take them as a reference.
These are some of the questions that we should ask ourselves looking at the competition:
- Does the competition have text at the beginning?
- Does the competition use filters?
- Does the competition use headings to structure the landings?
In the end, what we want to know in what sections has structured the competition their landings for us to get an idea of what Google rewards as content.
Google is increasingly valuing a good user experience, and that is why the speed of the website is more and more a vital aspect to take into account.
When the page load is slow, the user despairs and leaves. Therefore, the average time of the user on the page drops, and Google understands that your website does not manage to solve the user's search intention well.
Using tools such as Page Speed insights from Google or Pingdom are a good solution to detect serious problems and be able to find solutions to improve the performance of the web page.
Rich snippets are pieces of code that allow Google to better understand the content of a page.
There are many types, and that is why below we are going to show you the most common in online stores:
- Reviews and ratings
To incorporate these rich snippets, it can be done from programming directly, or through wordpress plugins.
Be that as it may, here We leave you the official Google documentation so that you know how to implement them: https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/search-gallery
Index only the pages that add value and have searches
When before we talked about carrying out a good keyword research, we were referring precisely to detecting keywords with enough searches to create specific landings.
So then, the steps would be the following:
- Do keyword research to detect palopen with searches.
- Create concrete pages to position each of these words / concepts.
- If we are interested in creating a page for business reasons, but it is not there When bidding on keywords with searches, it is a good practice to tag it as "No index'', so that Google does not waste time positioning something that has no value.
This last part refers to much more technical aspects of a website, in which they promote good crawling and indexing of content by Google. Having all these points well optimized will help us improve the seo of our e-commerce.
3xx redirects (301, 302 and 307 redirects) refer to links that point to C but go through a page in the middle.
For example, it is as if we want to go from Barcelona to Paris, but instead of doing it directly, we do it by passing through Greece first.
The route that the plane would take is the same as the Google robot does, and it is clearly there. giving more turns of the account to end up arriving at the same place, when it could do it perfectly directly.
One of the ways to solve this is by using the Screaming Frog tool. A program that will help us to detect all the internal 3xx redirects of our site, to be able to solve the links that are not optimal.
Errors 404, 401, 403... they refer to pages that are not responding. The most common error is 404, and to solve it is as simple as carrying out one of these two actions:
- If the page with 404 error interests us: Fix the link to the correct url (this is generally because we are pointing to a url that maintains differences with the initial url, and therefore does not exist).
- If the page that responds with a 404 error does not interest us, we must remove all the links that point to that landing, so that it remains as an orphan landing and Google ends up eliminating it.
The canonical tag is generally quite unknown to everyone, but it plays a great role when it comes to optimizing content.
The canonical tag looks similar to this “
”, and the url that we indicate is the one that Google will take as a reference to index.
What utilities has the canonical tag in an e-commerce seo?
Let's imagine that we sell shoes, and that of a specific model (eg: tiger shoes & rdquo;), we have different models in terms of colors. Perhaps for the keyword "Tiger shoes", yes there are searches, but not for all color variants.
Well, if for each variant (green, red, yellow ...) a separate landing is created, we must insert a canonical tag to each of the landings that indicates that the good url to index is the main one without colors "Tiger shoes". In this way, we save Google the complicated task of crawling more urls in the account, and indexing them all.
Do you have to internationalize your website? Then you will need to make good use of the hreflang tag.
The hreflang tag helps Google understand precisely why. language and country we want to position each of the content that we have on our website.
Below we show you a guide with all the nomenclatures and specifications, so that you know how to effectively tag the content of each version of your website according to the language and country. s to which you are going: https://app.sistrix.com/es/hreflang-generator.