SEO in Bing: How to position your website
Normally, when we talk about SEO in search engines we have Google in mind . However, despite being the most popular, users use other search engines. From here we are going to analyze the importance of SEO in Bing , a Microsoft search engine that is used in many important markets such as France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Canada or the United States.
We want to tell you everything you need to position your website through this search engine. Keep reading and you will discover the advantages and disadvantages of using this search engine, as well as tips to improve your visibility and positioning in Bing. Let us begin!
WHAT IS SEO?
SEO , whose acronym stands for Search Engine Optimization , tries to improve the positioning of your website in search engines and search engines to improve your position compared to other competitors and for the user to reach you more easily. It is about enhancing the visibility of your site in the organic results of different search engines.
SEO is a discipline that has advanced by leaps and bounds in recent years. There are many factors that a search engine takes into account when positioning a page, although basically there are two key elements: authority and relevance.
- Authority refers to the popularity of the web. The more valuable information the website has, the more popular it will be. The search engine takes it into account because its objective is to improve the user experience, and if content is shared, the reason is because users have found it useful.
- It no longer consists solely of the number of times a website contains the term searched by the user. The search engine pays attention to other on-site factors to determine its relevance level.
That said, SEO is divided into two large groups that we will try to summarize below in the best possible way:
- Onsite . On -site SEO wants the search engine to pay attention to the content of the web, hence keywords or keywords are included and fundamental aspects are taken into account such as the loading time of a page, the user experience, the URL formatting or code optimization.
- Offsite . Off-site SEO focuses on the exterior. The most relevant factors that are usually worked on in this regard are: number and quality of links, presence in social networks, brand authority, CTR (performance in search results) and allusions in local media.
SEO is a fundamental digital marketing tool. It is an ally for search engines to understand the content of each page, if it is relevant or not for the user and, if positive, it offers greater visibility to brands.
Before continuing to talk about the SEO strategy in general, we want to make a point about one of the most important optimization strategies with which small and medium-sized businesses usually work.
If you have a physical and online clothing store, or you are dedicated to selling fresh flowers, you may be interested in reaching people who are close to you. Local SEO is one way to do it, as it is based on a very useful practice that will make your company a benchmark in your region.
That way they will get to know you and you will attract new customers from the area willing to invest in your product or service. It is even possible that they visit your physical store to see your merchandise in situ .
For all these reasons, SEO is an optimal strategy for users to find your website through their searches. If you offer exactly what they are looking for, search engines will find you.
Bing is a search engine created in 2009 by the software company Microsoft. It came to replace Live Search and is currently just behind the main Internet search engines, such as Google and Yahoo!
Microsoft wanted to change the way in which the user obtained useful information through this new search engine. It was not easy, but over time they forged alliances and reached important agreements so that users could get the best content options.
The fruit of their efforts came in 2016, when Bing began to be used in second place, behind Google, in the United States. In fact, it is currently one of the most popular search engines in the world.
What features does the Bing search engine have to make it such an effective tool? Let's try to summarize them:
- It is very safe and has perfect tools to position websites by structuring data and codes. Through these means, websites can improve the clicks they receive each day. An example of structural code consists of user opinions and ratings about a product or service.
- Bing Video is a very characteristic tool of this search engine. Its design allows you to visualize the user's searches in an intelligent way. In addition, each video is tagged in specific categories to facilitate its search and when found it is possible to view the first 30 seconds.
- Bing images work in a similar way to videos. It is enough to write the main keyword and the search engine returns the results, ordering the images according to the existing similarities. In addition, Bing allows you to crop specific areas of a photo and search for the details separately.
- Another of the most appreciable features of Bing is its integration with the social networks Facebook and Twitter. In addition, it has a good interface that, in addition to showing the results of a content, will allow you to see what exists about it on social networks and obtain expert opinions.
- Bing search history will stay associated with your Microsoft account so you can access your history from any device you connect to. The search engine also offers intelligent answers to obtain precise results from various sources and allows comparisons between different topics that may have something in common.
- Bing also stands out for offering news in real time and you can configure it based on the topics that interest you the most. Also, the search engine has a special application for mobile devices and a service for companies to manage digital advertising called Bing Ads .
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF POSITIONING YOUR WEBSITE IN BING
Bing is a direct competitor of Google. In fact, its management is quite similar, although it offers a points program to reward users for searching or buying with its search engine. It is a strategy to compete with the most popular search engine on the market. There are others that have already tried it, such as Ecosia or DuckDuckGo, although so far they have not obtained such good results.
Some analysts have pointed out that Bing traffic has a conversion rate that exceeds that of Google , although as it is not as widely used, it is not yet as viable an alternative as Google.
We are going to discuss all the advantages and disadvantages when using Bing to position your website. It is a relatively new search tool, but users find what they are looking for easily and quickly.
In Spain it is offering very good results and its evolution will continue to be latent in the coming months. These are its advantages :
- In Bing, searches are more visual than any other search engine, something very attractive for the user.
- Provides maps and multiple options to filter searches.
- The results it offers are useful and consistent with what the user is looking for.
- Its image search engine beats Google.
- Save many clicks to the user to find what they are looking for.
- Bing's map resource outperforms Google's in some respects.
- When users search for videos, it shows you valuable data and the first 30 seconds.
- Multiple versions, including Spanish.
There is no doubt that it is a safe bet that you can trust when it comes to positioning your website. If your brand is international, it is widely accepted in the United States and part of Europe, and in Spain more and more users are using it.
As for its disadvantages , these are some of the ones we have found:
- Their designs are more visual, but they may not load as fast on slow connections.
- The results of a video search do not present them on one page.
- Google maps are more detailed and Google Maps is more intuitive.
- When searching for videos, most of the time YouTube videos do not appear in the first position.
SEO POSITIONING IN BING: HOW TO APPEAR?
Now that you know everything Bing can bring you, we are going to summarize the main SEO positioning factors in Bing so that you can take note of them.
TECHNICAL SEO AND INDEXING
To generate traffic from Bing you need to index your website. That way, the first thing is to make sure that the main pages of your website are indexed in Bing. Through the command site:yoursite.com , you will see the number of indexed pages.
It's also important that Bing crawl your site frequently. Precisely, to set the crawl frequency and the time you want it to be crawled, use the Crawl control in Bing Webmaster Tools.
Also, make sure to create a sitemap to indicate to the search engine the URLs that you prefer to show in the user's search results, configure it and send it.
Specific keyword optimization works best on Bing. In fact, keyword matching is important for search engine traffic. To make this possible, use customizable position monitoring tools such as Rank Tracker and when you enter keywords that describe your niche, the program will check them and suggest terms and synonyms associated with the Bing search engine.
SEO On-Page in Bing follows the classic strategies such as the following that we are going to name below:
- Optimization of titles and meta descriptions.
- Use of meta keywords without abusing keywords.
- Include keywords in titles and content without overcrowding pages with them and using similar variations.
CTR (CLICK THROUGH RATE)
Analyzing clicks and user behavior is key to determining a page's position in a search query. The most attractive thing for a website is to have a high CTR and a low bounce rate.
EXTERNAL LINKS (BACKLINKS)
Generating a good amount of incoming links is very beneficial, as long as you avoid doing it as spam. As for the over optimization of the anchor text , it can be good for Bing, but Google opts for diversity instead of always using keywords.
BING PLACES Y BING MAPS
We have talked about local SEO before, and in this sense, Bing Places is a very useful tool for local businesses. It is similar to Google My Business and consists of an online tool where you can create a business profile for free so that more potential customers discover your business.
As for Bing Maps , it is a map website similar to Google Maps , where you can add your business. To do so you will need to check if it is on Bing and if not, you will need to create a listing for free. By completing your profile with accurate information, you can add photos, schedules and services.
BING WEBMASTER TOOLS
Bing Webmaster Tools is similar to Google Search Console in terms of structure and functionality. What this versatile tool does is index, crawl, and analyze searches.
It is quite practical and useful by offering real-time data, analyzing click and visiting behavior and demographic information of visiting users. In this way, it will provide you with valuable information to improve the positioning of your website and discover the content that works best.
If you want to position yourself in the second most used search engine in the world, Bing Webmaster Tools is a magnificent tool to be taken into account by companies and SEO specialists.