SEO for E-Commerce: tricks for your web
If you have an online store and you want to position yourself well in search engines to multiply the number of visits, it is necessary to have an adequate SEO strategy for ecommerce. Implementing this system will allow you to place yourself in the first positions to improve the visibility of the product you sell.
Here is an SEO guide for ecommerce that will help you to optimize your website and start positioning your online store more easily.
What is an SEO in ecommerce?
SEO uses keywords selected through a previous analysis with which it is worked so that the online store in question is positioned effectively in search engines. By improving your visibility on the internet, traffic to the online store will increase significantly and with it the number of sales.
This web positioning of ecommerce stores will allow an online store to reach its objectives more quickly than a good SEO has not worked. Of course, an effective SEO strategy must be endowed with good actions, which will be a differentiating value with respect to the competition.
The benefits of doing good SEO for ecommerce are summarized in the following:
- An adequate search engine optimization offers more profitability than any other marketing or promotion strategy.
- Once our online store is in the first search engine results, if we continue with proper maintenance, we can continue it over time.
- By having a good positioning, our online store will increase web traffic and sales will increase.
- Having a good positioning in the network with the use of specific keywords and a correct conversion rate, allows us to generate sales 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even holidays.
- The number of conversions and the benefits obtained will clearly be higher than those of an online store that has not worked on SEO.
- A correct SEO optimization for businesses provides an improved loading speed, which translates into more effective purchases, which can be made perfectly from any mobile device.
- The SEO Onpage strategy makes it possible for the ecommerce to be visible in any browser in order to maximize the number of visits and conversions.
How to do SEO for ecommerce?
To optimize SEO for online stores, you have to pay attention to several very important elements:
- Keyword research
- SEO on Page
- Technical SEO
- Content marketing and blog
All these elements are key when developing a good SEO strategy for e-commerce. It is true that some of them are more important than others when obtaining more results, but every detail will affect the positioning of the ecommerce.
- First of all, it is essential to know the Keyword Research of your business to understand how the search process is followed by users interested in your product or service. It is about knowing the words most used by them on Google when searching for products similar to yours. In this way, if you already have an online store running or your intention is to open one, you should start by identifying the keywords so that users can easily find your products.
- SEO on Page for e-commerce is based on all the optimizations to be made on our website, so that they positively influence your search engine positioning, thereby increasing your visibility against other competitors.
- Link building, meanwhile, is a technique to create external links in order to generate web authority and enhance organic search engine positioning. If you find yourself a bit lost and do not know how to do it, the most advisable thing is to have professionals who can help you manage this link strategy.
- Likewise, it is essential to have the help of technical SEO to earn more money with your online store. However, it is necessary to have the appropriate knowledge to carry it out, so having the support of experienced professionals is the best option.
There are many projects that work with the above techniques, without stopping at the technical aspects of your website. However, to stand out from the rest of the competition, this is an interesting point to emphasize.
If we leave the technical characteristics of the page in the background, it can lead to poor performance and a website with poor indexing or no traceability. This technique will make it easier for search engines to extract content from the pages of our website.
Having a blog is one of the most effective ecommerce SEO strategies. We are talking about a very powerful communication tool with which to increase brand awareness, generate new leads, reinforce engagement and increase the number of sales.
The blog can become a leading element in your business to take advantage of. With it you can share information, communicate with users and answer their questions. The possibilities are many, although its main purpose is to provide relevant content that may interest your customers and potential users to attract them.
The blog alone is not enough, but it is an essential part of your marketing plan. It is an aspect to be covered to increase the scope of the proposed objectives, something that we will achieve when combined with a good SEO strategy, as well as the use of social networks and e-mail marketing.
How to do keyword research for online stores?
As we said, one of the key elements in an SEO strategy for ecommerce is to choose the keywords for your online store well. Each ecommerce page must contain the main keyword and other associated keywords to appear in search engines, either to identify products or product categories.
In this way, if your online store is dedicated to selling accessories and one of your categories is necklaces, you will have to look for the keywords related to that word that users search the most, such as "necklaces", "silver necklaces" or "silver necklaces. leather".
Therefore, you should focus on two types of keywords that are fundamental for your ecommerce: the main and secondary keywords. Afterwards, the keywords of your website will be distributed as follows: product categories with main keywords and subcategories with secondary keywords.
The main keywords have a very high level of competition, that is, there are many websites that use them to position themselves with them and it is most likely that many of them have more authority than your page.
If you are just starting out, you will not be able to obtain such good results in the short term with the use of main keywords. For that reason you will have to focus on secondary keywords, which are more specific and try to respond to the specific searches that users make.
Adding these keywords to your website is part of a very smart strategy, as it will increase your visibility faster. Let's say that the secondary keywords would try to position the subcategories of your online store, as is the case with "stainless steel gold necklaces". Define a more specific search and you will find far fewer competitors.
There are several alternatives when it comes to finding keywords, although these are the best known and most used:
- Put an asterisk behind the main keyword and Google will show you the secondary keywords that people search the most.
- Google keyword planner. This tool will allow you to know the search messages of each keyword and the level of competition they have.
- Other systems such as Semrush with which to obtain more precise and detailed data on this type of searches.
When doing this work, the most advisable thing is to stick with the secondary keywords that have many searches, but that present low competitiveness. If you don't know how to get started, you can also choose to use the competition. It is very simple, it will be enough to analyze the keywords that have led them to position themselves to get a rough idea of what your potential audience is looking for.
How to do SEO On-Page for ecommerce sites?
To make a good Seo On Page (optimizations within our website) to obtain an adequate positioning of the online store in search engines, you must take into account the following aspects:
- Optimize meta titles and meta descriptions. It is the most important step to follow in this type of strategy. The meta title is the title of the page where you have to include the keywords that you consider that your customers will use when looking for these products, such as "Women's shirts" and "Buy shirts online". The meta description, meanwhile, is to describe your page and include the most relevant keywords, such as "women's shirts", "women's white shirts" or "elegant women's shirts". It is about enriching this category with keywords that are related to the main keyword to position it more easily.
- Optimize the CTR. Snippets should be as attractive as possible so that the click-through rate increases, leading to a higher number of visits. For example, in an online store it can be very interesting for customers to include "free shipping and returns", an element that you can edit with a plugin on your website.
- Optimize categories and subcategories pages. To do this, use, for example, keywords in the content (headings, content or meta information) and include relevant text when describing the products in each category.
- Optimize product pages and sheets. Here you should take maximum care of the descriptions of the products, including secondary keywords and semantic variety. In addition, it is convenient to optimize the images, use internal linking and structured product data, and add a system so that the user can leave a comment on the product.
- Create friendly URLs for products and categories. They are easy to understand addresses that users quickly access to see the content of the page they are looking for. When creating them, don't forget that they have to be short and simple, and that they have to include the main keyword of the page.
How to do technical SEO for ecommerce sites?
Online stores tend to present a multitude of technical SEO problems by having many different pages, especially when we talk about websites that have a wide variety of products and categories.
Some of the most important actions that must be carried out to optimize SEO for ecommerce are the following:
- Install SSL security certificate. Your website must have this certificate. In fact, Google favors ecommerce that have HTTPS and SSL.
- Create an optimized sitemap. We are talking about an XML file with the most interesting URLs when it comes to positioning. It is something similar to a map used as an indexing or crawling guide to get to your website. It can be done manually or use
- Responsive web. Today it is vital that your online store is optimized for mobile devices to facilitate navigation for users. To do this, choose a responsive template that adapts the content of your website to the mobile screen.
- Cannibalization. This happens when there are several pages on your website that are ranking in Google for the same keyword. This situation generates its own competition that you must get rid of. To avoid or correct it, include a different keyword on each page.
- Optimize loading speed. The speed with which your online store loads is very important to offer a good user experience. The loading speed is influenced by several factors that you must take into account to increase it: size of images, web template, hosting, number of plugins, external scripts, etc.
- Detect and correct internal errors. When analyzing the status of your web pages you may find different errors, hence the importance of auditing your online store: errors in metarobots, misconfigured robots.txt files, broken external links, 404 errors, orphan pages , and so on.
- Duplicate content. When the contents of several pages are similar, this leads to a negative user experience. To avoid this, try to ensure that each product sheet has a different description, request the elimination of other websites that have copied your content and get rid of pages with little content that hardly add value.
How to do Linkbuilding for ecommerce?
The link building strategy is another key factor for the SEO of an online store. It is calculated by the number of external links received, that is, the times that other pages have decided to include your URL on their website.
However, to increase this authority, it is not enough to have many links, but they are of quality, which means that they have to come from pages of relevant content that also have authority so that they can influence our online store.
Currently, there are many link building strategies, although from here we are going to summarize some that you can use to position your website:
- Links to specialized blogs dedicated to providing information about your sector.
- Links that share your content and products.
- Get reputed influencers to share your website.
- Collaborations with stores dedicated to other sectors.
- Although it is very difficult, obtain links from direct competitors.
- Media links focused on your sector.
- Easy to share content through ebooks or similar.
How to do content marketing for ecommerce?
It is very useful to have adequate content marketing to optimize your ecommerce. One of the most effective tasks is to have a blog in your online store that serves to give information about your products, answer questions or talk about news or upcoming events.
Having a well-structured blog with relevant information can grant very good results when it comes to obtaining recognition and notoriety for your brand. To plan all this content, ideally create an editorial calendar to plan the next posts.
For SEO to be effective, the calendar must take into account several important aspects: keywords or main topics, content formats (lists, tables, etc.) and how to link the content with the categories of your online store. In addition, the resulting content must be disseminated by email or through social networks to increase its visibility.
In any case, before getting down to work, it is essential to know how to write the posts to optimize them for SEO. For this, we must pay attention to these elements:
- Headings or header tags. The H1 is the most important with which to identify the main content. That will be followed by other subtitles such as H2 or H3, dedicated to organizing the content and making it more specific.
- Drafting. It is important to assign a main keyword to the post and add it several times throughout the text, which must include at least 400 words. If its length is long enough, we can use synonyms for the main keyword. In addition, it is crucial to publish once or twice a week, hence many companies decide to hire the services of an SEO agency.
With all this, you already know what are the main guidelines to define a good SEO strategy for ecommerce. The best thing to do is put yourself in expert hands so that the work really pays off.